Come to West Liberty, Iowa for the Great Plains Puppet Train
Sept. 10-13, 2020!
Located close to Iowa City, home of the University of Iowa and the internationally renowned Iowa Writers’ Workshop, West Liberty is an iconic small town, with an active main street and midwestern hospitality. The Regional Festival will take place in various buildings downtown, all within a distance of about four to six blocks, starting Thursday evening with registration, finger foods, a show, and a party. Friday will include workshops, performances in our opera house, and a Puppet Slam. Saturday will feature the West Liberty Children’s Festival, complete with five puppet performances and lots of street food and activities, A street dance with a Latino band, and finally a delicious catered dinner and another performance. Sunday: breakfast, one last show, and farewells to friends, old and new!
We’re looking for the following kinds of shows:
- Family friendly shows that can be performed outdoors
- A school show that connects to the curriculum
- Any other show including adult-oriented, small shows, slam pieces, etc.
- Connecting puppetry to the curriculum (for puppeteers and teachers)
- Workshops helpful for librarians
- Business workshops to help puppeteers make a living in the current economy
- Any other workshop including performance, construction, and/or writing
Find Performance and Workshop proposal forms on the appropriate pages. Please submit a proposal if you have a show or workshop you’d like to share!
Monica Leo, Festival Director
Stephanie Vallez, Assistant Director
Pam Corcoran, Artistic Director
Dan (Digger) Romano, Workshop Director
Gary Neil Holmquist, Technical Director
Puppetry Store, TBA
Festival Exhibit, TBA
Justin Cornett, General Assistant